The Academy recognises that its community is made up of a broad range of individuals and groups with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, lifestyles, languages and cultures. The Academy is committed to the principle that all students should be treated with dignity and respect.
To achieve this we follow the following approaches:
- We accept and understand everyone for who we are and what we do, celebrating our differences.
- We recognise that our academy community is geographically distant and plan events to bring the community together.
- We take pride in the environment that we share and work hard to maintain it in a way that is appropriate for our student's needs.
- We support our students through our key drivers of Communication, Independence and Emotional Regulation to have high aspirations.
- We try to ensure that everyone is treated fairly and with respect. We recognise that people have different needs, and we understand that treating people equally does not always involve treating them all exactly the same.
- We want to make sure that our Academy is safe, secure and stimulating place for everyone.
- We try to ensure that people from different groups are consulted and are involved in our decisions, for example, through talking to parents and carers as part of our annual review process and regular questionnaires, through talking to students in our elected student council, and our staff through phase team meetings.
To read our Equality for Pupils Policy, click here